Tuesday, February 20, 2024

In the Garden of Beasts

 


I rarely re-read a book, but when I saw Larson's In the Garden of Beasts on my library's bookshelf again this past week, I knew I had to give it another go. It's just such a compelling read. William Dodd is a "mild-mannered professor from Chicago" who suddenly finds himself appointed by President Franklin Roosevelt as ambassador to Germany. The year is 1933. Hitler's rise to power is seen by many as nothing more than the proverbial flash in the pan. Only, they're wrong, and Dodd now faces extraordinary challenges as he attempts to forge respectful if not always cordial relations with Germany's Nazi leaders.

The parallels between Dodd's experience and what is happening now in the United States are truly alarming. The descent into identity politics, the lying, the violent rhetoric that often as not leads people to equally violent reactions, all are disturbingly familiar. 

I'm not quite done with my second read, but I've read enough to confirm my reasons for giving this book a second look.

3 comments:

  1. Al leerlo, por segunda vez, ya se sabe previamente su final. Una segunda lectura, hace profundizar más, en su contenido.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Your comments are most welcome.