Monday, July 24, 2023

Regeneration

 


Clearly it has been a while since people hiked the White Pine Trail, since much of what is left of the trail has been obscured by tall ferns. Also, what trail markers might have once been in place are now long gone. At times, in fact, I had to resort to my compass to figure out where I was. No cell service here! 

Still, as often is the case, I made a new discovery traipsing through this part of the Mount Toby Forest. I discovered what a "regeneration system" is. According to one source I consulted, "Forest regeneration is the process by which new tree seedlings become established after forest trees have been harvested or have died from fire, insects, or disease. Regeneration is key to sustainable forestry and can be accomplished through two basic approaches:

1) natural regeneration, which occurs when new seedlings or sprouts are produced by trees left on or near the site (as with aspen) 

2) artificial regeneration, more commonly known as tree planting

3 comments:

  1. The ferns look like they are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Los helechos están todos preciosos, Es una planta que necesita mucha agua. No me atrevo a poner uno en mi patio, por la escasez de agua que hay por aquí.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Your comments are most welcome.