This is quite a different post from me. First, I have never, to my knowledge, posted an image that I didn't create myself. The image above was taken from a WHRO article that I think is very well done and presents one of the referendums that will be put before voters this fall, namely the matter of whether or not to restore the rights of felons who have completed their sentences.
Now, I'm not decided on this issue. I am inclined towards the view once espoused by George Mason, namely that suffrage belongs to "all men, having sufficient evidence of permanent common interest with, and attachment to, the community." I would only alter that statement to include all "people", not just men.
But should that include people who have once been found guilty of felony offenses? Gosh! That's a tough one! I guess, in that case, one would have to second-guess a former felon's "attachment" to his or her community. But by what possible means can a community properly assess that?
Anyway, it's something to think about, especially if you happen to be, like me, a registered voter in Virginia. (Early voting begins September 18!) We must take this matter seriously and think deeply, and I do mean DEEPLY, about not only a former felon's attachment to the community, but, while we're at it, our own. Hmm.
Please do share your opinion in the comments below, as I think they could maybe help us all think through this matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for dropping by! Your comments are most welcome.